The Hotel Providence is a true landmark of the Downtown Providence Historic District, bordered by Washington, Westminster, Empire, and Weybosset streets. The district, comprised of 900 acres and 112 buildings, has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1984.
The Westminster building was originally built in 1882 and housed the Westminster Hotel from 1882 to 1912. The building operated as a hotel for 94 years before shutting down in 1976. It re-opened as Bell Hall, a dormitory for Johnson & Wales students before being purchased by Stanley Weiss in the 1990's.
The Lederer Building was built in 1897 at the height of the classic, eclectic commercial style of architecture. It was a luxurious building with a grand staircase that started on the second floor. It was decorated with copper bay windows, intricate tile work, columns, and a first and second story cast-iron storefront. It housed dressmakers, milliners, and musicians, and was a coveted address in the early 20th century.
Mr. Weiss built the Liner Building framing Freeman Park and joined the two buildings in 2004, creating one massive complex. One year later, Hotel Providence opened and was honored at being awarded the coveted AAA Four Diamond Award for luxury boutique hotels.