• View from the 7th floor of Hotel Providence
  • Closeup of wine and bread basket
  • Bride far away


Step inside a hotel that captures the true essence of Providence. Our style is timeless, refined luxury inspired by Tolstoy, Byron, Dumas, and Besson - with a glimpse of Marie Antoinette and the New England flavors of Alcott and Dickinson. Spaces are filled with classic novels, works of art and original local finds. From art exhibitions in our lobby and jazz in our restaurant to film showings and art workshops, we are passionate about connecting our guests with Rhode Island history, artists and musicians.


The hotel’s neighborhood is part of the Downtown Providence Historic District, bounded by Washington, Westminster, Empire & Weybosset Streets. This district, comprised of 900 acres and 112 buildings has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1984. The Westminster building was originally built in 1882 and housed the Westminster Hotel from 1882-1912. In 1913 it was purchased and became the Blackstone Hotel. By the time it was sold again in 1918 and became the Hotel Berkshire, it had doubled in size. It would later become the Hotel Brucker and the Kent Hotel. It was only designated as “elegant and upscale” as the Blackstone Hotel.

The building operated as a hotel for 94 years before shutting down in 1976. It re-opened as Bell Hall a dormitory for Johnson & Wales students before being purchased by Stanley Weiss in the 1990’s. The Lederer Building was built in 1897 at the height of the now classic eclectic commercial style of architecture. It was a luxurious building with a grand staircase that started on the 2nd floor. It was elaborately decorated with detailed copper bay windows, intricate tile work, columns, and a first and second story cast iron storefront. It housed fine dressmakers, milliners, and musicians, and was a coveted address in the early 20th century.

Mr. Weiss built the Liner Building framing Freeman Park and joined the two buildings in 2004.